Thursday, March 29, 2012

But you don't look sick!

How many of us have heard that statement?  And how many times have we wanted to respond, "Funny, you don't look stupid!"

One of the most frustrating things with a chronic condition such as lupus; fibromyalgia; chronic fatigue syndrome etc. is that there is nothing you can show a person.  It's not like a broken bone or a missing limb.  It's an invisible illness.  One that no one can see or experience no matter how many times you try to explain it to them.

I feel certain we've all gone through the phase (I have found it to be cyclical) where I feel like I'm absolutely crazy!


Is it me?  Is it all in my head?  Are they right?  And then I'll come across that one doctor who will restore my faith that no, it's not all in my head and no, I'm not crazy.  Too many symptoms add up to something being wrong.  It's not going to be easy and it's not going to be over night, but we ARE going to find out what's wrong with you.

Through this forum I'm hoping not only to share the story of what brought me to start this blog, but through the various day to day struggles, doctor visits, medical test and yes, even the joys that come with having to live with a chronic illness.

I hope you'll share your thoughts and ideas and any suggestions you have that may benefit one or all of us.  Together we can work together to educate the world that even though our illness may be invisible, it is, indeed, very, very real!

No comments:

Post a Comment